• Ensure legal compliance and continuous improvement in EHS – We are gradually implementing EHS management systems across all our manufacturing sites. These are certified by external auditors to ensure compliance with EHS laws and regulations, to monitor our EHS performance and to work on improvement programmes. Six of our manufacturing sites are now OHSAS/ISO certified; two more are preparing for certification. Our site in Israel (BTG) is the first site to be certified according to the Energy Management Systems Standard (EMS) – ISO 500001.
• Reducing our carbon footprint – Our aim is to increase energy use from renewable sources wherever possible and improve the efficiency of our manufacturing processes. We have improved greenhouse gas intensity relative to sales by 50%, while absolute emissions from manufacturing operations decreased by 13% since 2010 (in CO2eq Scope 1 and 2, excluding US and India sites). Calculation of greenhouse gas emissions has been undertaken with the support of Quantis.
• Promoting a safe and healthy work environment – We measure our Lost Time Injury (LTI) and Recordable Injury rate and compare with industry benchmarks. For 2015-2016 we recorded a LTI rate decrease from 0.68 to 0.58. In 2015, our St-Prex facility successfully piloted a behaviour based safety programme that will now be rolled out across the business. All sites have initiated health promotion programmes.
• Evaluate environmental impact along the value chain – We have started to measure our environmental impact beyond direct manufacturing (scope 1&2) and have carried out scope 3 assessments in our HQ at FICSA, Israel (BTG) and Scotland (FCT). This includes impacts in our supply chain, packaging and business travel, amongst other sources.
Examples of Our Initiatives
• BTG in Israel is the first manufacturing site to have implemented an Energy Management System (EMS) – Only 2% of electricity comes from renewable resources in Israel – most consumption is derived from coal and gas-fired hydrocarbon fuel plants. This makes energy improvements all the more important. BTG has implemented several energy saving projects in recent years and in 2015, cut CO2 emissions by 814 tonnes, saving €120,000 in the process. This was achieved through heat recovery, installation of wind turbines, and replacement of old and inefficient equipment.
• 5ASA Project FICSA – There is increasing concern about the downstream environmental effect of pharmaceuticals, and we wish to play our part in addressing these. Our Swiss manufacturing plant has initiated a project to eliminate the discharge of active ingredients into the local wastewater treatment plant. This guarantees that there will be no traces of actives into Lake Leman, which is used both as a source of drinking water as well as for many recreational activities. This ongoing project was initiated on a voluntary basis by the plant.